Tuesday, May 31, 2011

A Frugal Version of Shake & Bake Nuggets

I was shopping last week and realized that while a box of shake-n-bake isn't overly expensive, per se, it is really expensive considering its about 99% bread crumbs. So I decided to find a homemade version.

I found this one:
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/homemade-shake-and-bake-mixture/Detail.aspx

And it was awesome! I made a half batch and used about half of that on about 1.5 lbs of chicken tenders. I baked them in the oven for about 25 minutes at 400 degrees.The kids thought they were eating McNuggets, HA! Little did they know they were getting actual chicken breast.
The one thing I would change is I would add a little Cayenne pepper but other than that it was great. I put the extra in the freezer, not sure if I really even needed to refrigerate it but that seemed liked the safest choice without wasting any of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment