Sunday, January 22, 2012

Teaching the 4yo to read.

Currently my 4yo is just about to take off and read. He knows all his letters and phonics, can rhyme anything, and can just start to sound out words. I remember being at this spot with my 6yo and having the HARDEST time finding books that were suitable for him. Even the "level 1" popular cartoon character books were really too hard for him to progress with.

The BOB books which everyone loves, I thought were just okay. For one thing, there just isn't enough of them and they progress too rapidly. My older son would memorize them the first time through and then when we went to 'reread' them he would 'recite' them instead. Which is great for memory practice but doesn't do much for reading.

So we are using the "Reading for all Learners" series. I found this series at the library and my 6yo went up through set 5 before we branched out to other series. The only really negative comment I have about these is that each set costs $30. They are VERY popular at the library so I have to request each book and sometime there is a bit of a wait.

In case you are interested, here is their website.
http://www.iseesam.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=8_9

No comments:

Post a Comment